Policy: Students may seek authorization for a Leave of Absence (LOA) from FLT Academy to temporarily interrupt a course of study in case of emergency. An LOA allows for a student to suspend his/her enrollment for a brief period of time, rather than withdrawing from the program and re-enrolling. In the case of prolonged illness or accident, death in the family, or other special circumstances that make attendance impossible or impractical, an LOA may be granted, the student’s account inactivated, and an extension granted in the student’s respective course of training if requested in writing by the student.
- A student seeking an LOA must consult with their assigned Flight Instructor and complete this form located on the FLT Academy website. This form will then be automatically sent to Student Flight Coordinator and be copied into the student’s training record. The request must be completed fully, signed, and dated.
- Upon receiving the LOA request form, FLT Academy will determine if there is a reasonable expectation that the student will return and resume his/her training. FLT will grant or deny the request, and inform the student by email.
- An LOA cannot exceed 15 days without evidence of extenuating circumstances. Foreign National Students with TSA approval must seek consultation prior to requesting an LOA to ensure compliance with TSA regulations.
- The student must report to their Flight Instructor and the Student Flight Coordinator upon returning from an approved LOA on/or prior to the expected return date stated on the LOA form.
- If a student does not resume attendance at FLT Academy on/or before the end of an approved LOA, the student will be evaluated for possible Remedial Instruction Plan or removal from the program.
(If it is a medical leave, student must provide FLT Academy with the relevant documentation from a doctor that shows s/he is required to take medical treatment for the time period.)